Share Concerns of Patients and Doctors
From Medicaid to tort reform to health insurance, this committee keeps you informed on the issues that matter. Maintaining longstanding relationships with legislators ensures medicine has a voice in the legislative process
State Legislative Contacts
Greg Abbott (R) 512-463-2000 (f) 512-463-1849
email: www.governor.state.tx.us (click “Contact,” then choose “I need assistance”)
Dan Patrick (R) (o) 512-463-0001 (f) 512-463-0677 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Dennis Bonnan (R) His office is 2W.13 in the State Capitol; P.O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768; 512-463-1000.
(email format: email@example.com)
Charles Schwertner, MD (R) – District 5 (o) 512-463-0105
Sarah Eckhardt (D) – District 14 (o) 512-463-0114
Judith Zaffirini (D) – District 21 (o) 512-463-0121
Donna Campbell, MD (R) – District 25 (o) 512-463-0013
(email format: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Terry Wilson (R) District 20 (o) 512-463-0309 (f) 512-463-
Erin Zweiner (D) District 45 (o) 512-463-0647 (f) 512-463-3573
Sheryl Cole (D) District 46 (o) 512-463-0506 (f) 512-463-7864
Vikki Goodwin (D) District 47 (o) 512-463-0652 (f) 512-463-0565
Donna Howard (D) District 48 (o) 512-463-0631 (f) 512-463-0901
Gina Hinojosa (D) District 49 (o) 512-463-0668 (f) 512-463-8022
Celia Israel (D) District 50 (o) 512-463-0821 (f) 512-463-1199
Eddie Rodriguez (D) District 51 (o) 512-463-0674 (f) 512-463-0314
James Talarico (D) District 52 (o) 512-463-0670 (f) 512-463-1469
John Bucy, III (D) District 136 (o) 512-463-0696 (f) 512-463-9333
Federal Legislative Contacts
John Cornyn (R) (o) 202-224-2934 (f) 202-2282856
email: www.cornyn.senate.gov (click “Contact,” then choose “Contact Form”)
Ted Cruz (R) (o) 202-224-5922 (f) 202-228-0755
email: www.cruz.senate.gov (click “Contact Ted”)
Michael McCaul (R) District 10 (o) 202-225-2401 (f) 202-225-5955 email: www.mccaul.house.gov (click “Contact Us,” then scroll to bottom of page)
Chip Roy (R) – District 21 (o) 202-225-4236 (f) 202-225-8628 email: email@example.com
John Carter (R) – District 31 (o) 202-225-3864 (f) 202-225-5886
email: www.carter.house.gov (click “Email John")
Lloyd Doggett (D) – District 35 (o) 202-225-4865 (f) 202-225-3073 email: www.doggett.house.gov (click “Contact Lloyd,” then “Write to Congressman”
Guidelines for Effective Communications with Elected Officials
1. Personal visits and individual letters mailed to elected officials are usually the most effective means to communicate. However, when time is of the essence, and you wish to get a message to the official quickly, you can email or phone the office.
2. Make your letter one page or less, and include your return address and phone number.
3. Identify your subject matter and try to limit your correspondence to one issue at a time.
4. Keep your tone respectful and non-argumentative.
5. Please try to visit local legislators at least once during the session and to write at least one letter to your elected officials regarding issues most important to you and your medical family.
6. Be sure to write a thank you note after you have corresponded with a legislator and/or his staff person. And, keep in mind that staff persons should receive the same respect you would show the elected official.
If you do not know who represents you locally, see www.house.state.tx.us and click on “How do I find out who represents me?” If you do not know who represents you in Washington, go to www.house.gov and type in your zip code.
See www.texmed.org for the most current information regarding TMA’s positions on public policy measures affecting Medicine.